I purchased the Jane dress pattern the day it came out. Tessuti describe it as an “a-line dress features a small neckline split, short sleeves and a side pocket. A side godet panel creates a clever asymmetrical hemline. This dress is simple, stylish and makes for a perfect summer wardrobe addition. Suitable fabrics for the Jane Dress include light to medium weight linens, cottons, medium weight drape.”
I thought I might have the perfect fabric languishing in the stash. This is a silk crepe di chine also from Tessuti. Hanging wisteria!! fading to black…
Due to the asymmetry, you cut this dress out in a single layer. It made the pattern placement easy, though there was debate in the household about whether the wisteria should hang down or grow up. I won, whoever heard of wisteria growing up plus I was the maker and wearer 🙂
The pattern said it was for intermediate to super advanced sewists. There’s no way I’m super advanced so I thought perhaps it would be an idea to follow the directions to the letter, unusual for me ☺. I like Tessuti instructions, quite clear and good pictures. I didn’t think there was anything too tricky, the neck slit and the godet came together easily.
Although I’m on an FBA roll at the moment, I just didn’t know where to start with the asymmetry and the whole dress front, rather than a bodice only. Consequently I tried grading between medium at the shoulders/sleeves, extra large at the bust and large waist down. I think it sort of worked, though I doubt it would have been successful if I’d wanted a sleeveless Jane dress.
It’s a loose fitting dress. Nice and floaty, I like the pocket and the asymmetry makes it a bit quirky.
Happy sewing! Especially if you have the day off #publicholidaysarereallysewingholidays