Style Arc Esme, cool for summer

Hope everyone is having a relaxing holiday season. It’s a heatwave here in Aus and these tops are perfect – two Style Arc Esme tops.

I made this top from scraps left over from a (disastrous ) mother of the bride dress. That dress might have been a failure but it did yield silk jersey scraps.wp-1476609388087.jpegSuch a luscious and luxurious fabric. This make has some hidden seams where I’ve pieced the scraps together (in the hem turn-ups) as well as some more obvious ones ( on the collar). Continue reading

Advertisements

deer and doe and overboard with t-shirts

what a cute name for a pattern company…

A blog backlog here. I made several, a couple a few,Deer and Doe Plantain t-shirts.

This one, purple and mauve stripe is 100% cotton, a beautiful quality, fine with a subtle pattern in the weave.

barbara jane made deer and doe t-shirt.jpg

It’s my new favorite top pattern. A good fit straight from the pattern. This is a freebie from Deer and Doe and sometimes you get what you pay for but not here. I really like this t-shirt.

Fitted at the shoulders and flaring at the hips, has a neck-band, that just sits right. It comes in three sleeve lengths, though so far I’ve only tried the short.

This fabric is a poly-cotton jersey, I thought the colours were quite groovy. It also goes nicely with my first Moss Mini.

On the Melbourne frocktails fabric shopping sojourn, organised by Anna, I came across the same fabric (at The Cloth Shop, new to me!) in a pink colourway. Sort of wish I’d picked some up now, then again I think I have enough t-shirts………….

barbara jane made deer and doe t-shirt.jpeg

Continue reading

Using scraps – silk chiffon

I adored this silk chiffon, but my silk kimono made it to my top 5 misses for 2014 (and there was some stiff competition). It was all down to the wonky hems.

Linda (nice dress! Thanks I made it) suggested stabilising the hems with something like wonder tape. Well, it worked a treat. I made a top with the left-overs from the kimono.

Here’s the hems, stabilised with a tiny strip of wonder tape. The tape is fuesable both sides. I cut in half lengthwise. It was a bit tricky using the iron to fuse it, best to turn the steam off first ☺. It basically gums the hem to the body of the garment, making a small hem quite do-able without the silk chiffon getting eaten by the machine.

Barbara jane made silk chiffon top Continue reading

Maybe Mandy: the tale of three tees

A bit of blogging catch-up here, some summer tee shirts.

If only I’d read Melanie’s Mandy tee post before I cut out my first one. Then I might have measured the one size pattern and realised the sleeves were going to be too small for me.

Mmm, so here’s my first Mandy boat tee (a free pattern from Tessuti) with the sleeves cut off. I could try and pretend I meant to make a capped sleeve tee, but that would be a lie. Continue reading